Sep 11, 2008

9/11 Where were you?

My family used to have this outdoor shed that was wired with electricity and had lights inside and all. We used it as a bedroom and at this particular time I was using it as my room. I had just graduated from highschool and was in transition from summer fun to oh crap I have to find a job now. 
I was sleeping in when my mom came into the shed in tears. She woke me up and told me that something terrible had happened. I shot up and asked if everyone was alright, naturally assuming something had happened to a family member.  Everyone was fine of course, but as she told me a plane had crashed into the world trade center, in my mind I was like, " what is that, why is that a big deal? " ( I wasn't to concerned with world events, as you can tell..)  I followed her into the house where the tv was on and sat there for hours watching the screen,finally understanding, and crying. I couldn't believe something that that could ever happen and I was scared. 
I remember hearing the presidents speech afterward about how we would come together as a nation and and overcome. I have never seen so many flags on houses and cars as I did then. Every time I saw one I would become an emotional mess and just cry.  ( not so convenient when you are tying to drive!) 

I love this country and feel so blessed to live in a place where I have the freedoms and safety that I do. I am thankful for the men and women who put their lives on the line so that I have these things.




1 comment:

  1. Glad that you shared this story...It's crazy how we were all doing our own thing, but we are connected by the images.
    Miss you!

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy, leave a comment!